Nutrition Apps for Your Phone
Today, it seems as though everyone and anyone is taking advantage of the ease and convenience of having your favorite application (“app”) on your phone. Apps can come in handy when doing just about anything. You can find directions to your favorite restaurant or calculate how many steps you’ve taken walking to work. I have found that the number of nutrition-related apps is really starting to rise in the past few years. It’s becoming easier and easier for people to take advantage of technology, while taking advantage of their health as well.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has released the most utilized and effective FREE apps for your phone based on categories:
1.) Diabetes App Reviews
2.) Gluten-free App Reviews
3.) Weight Management App Reviews
Let’s start with the Diabetes Apps:
- Blood Sugar Tracker: 5 star review
– This app allows the user to easily log blood sugar levels, set target blood glucose ranges, and view history and simple graphs to quickly identify numbers that are out of range.
- Carb Master Free
- Diabetes Buddy Life
- Diabetes Companion
- Diabetes Log
- Glucose Buddy
- Vree for Diabetes: 5 star review
– This app includes diabetes education resources to better understand T2DM and requirements to manage it, blood glucose tracking, nutrition tracking, activity tracking, medication tracking, progress charts and blood pressure tracking.
- WaveSense Diabetes Manager
Next, Gluten-free Apps:
- Eating Out G-Free
- Find Me Gluten Free
- Food Additives 2: Free
- Gluten Free Daily: 4 ½ star review
– An online guide built to provide education and resources about following a gluten-free diet.
- Gluten Free Restaurant Cards from CeliacTravel.com
- Gluten Freed-Gluten Free Dining for Health and Celiac
Last, Weight Management Apps:
- Calorie Counter
- Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker by MyFitness Pal: 4 ½ star review
– This app includes a combination of physical activity and nutrition on a daily and weekly basis.
– It is a community-oriented site designed to help you lose weight and track your fitness goals.
- Calorie Counter by MyNetDiary
- Calorie Counter: Diets & Activities
- Calorie Tracker by Livestrong.com
- Daily Burn
- Lose It!
- Sparkpeople Food and Fitness Tracker
- Weight Watchers Mobile