Undergraduate Action Team Meeting
Well, let’s see… As the Community Wellness ISPP (Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway) Dietetic Intern, it’s my responsibility to get my Action Team in the community and promoting nutrition education and overall healthy thinking and decision-making by Morgantown’s population. So, for this meeting that took place on Monday February 11th at 5:30pm on WVU’s Evansdale campus, we had a mapped out plan of what we needed to address and where we need to go, in terms of community wellness.
WV Action For Healthy Kids (AFHK) Undergraduate intern:
- We decided that that on behalf as an Undergrad intern, 2 posts per week on WV AFHK’s Facebook page would be an ongoing assignment. This intern already has a requirement of 1 post per week from WV AFHK, as a stakeholder within our program. So, 3 posts total is required. And these posts are reflective of child/adolescent nutrition education or areas of that concentration,
- The Undergrad intern was asked to help develop and deliver a grant writing workshop for Pierpont Community and Technical College On March 8th by our WV AFHK stakeholder. So, by utilizing these resources, an assignment will be presenting “Grant Writing 101” to the next Student Dietetic Association on March 12th. This will give the Undergrad intern, who’s presenting, experience at public speaking AND give these Human Nutrition & Foods students an opportunity to gain knowledge, tips, and resources as to how the process of grant writing exists.
- Another joint requirement is developing a newsletter every month. The WV AFHK stakeholder currently has this intern create 1 newsletter per month. So, I assigned an additional newsletter to be written and I assigned possible topics for the intern to choose from, along with coinciding deadlines. So, in total 2 articles for a newsletter will be due from this intern. Here are the topics I gave the intern the choice to choose from for each deadline:
- Deadline February 24th:
- School Snacks
- March 24th:
- Eating on a Budget
- Guerrilla Advertising
- April 21st:
- May 4th:
The Shack Neighborhood House Undergraduate Intern:
- We’ve decided that most of our projects/presentations that we work on in our group, we will work as a team. I made this very clear at the very first meeting. I want to make sure everyone is involved with everything. That being said, an after-school nutrition education program was assigned to this Undergrad intern. Thankfully, the intern has help from our Community Wellness Action Team. So, I already had the thought in my mind that I wanted an after-school program based on something similar to a Rachel Ray show where she travels around the country. I wanted to implement a program where children at the Shack Neighborhood House can get the opportunity at becoming exposed to different regions of the country and still have that nutrition component as well. So, we created a program called “Our Healthy Roadtrip”. This program will last 6 weeks long and be held every Monday from 4:15pm-5:15pm. Our start date is March 4th and we’ll need a minimum of 2 volunteers for every lesson. Each lesson will consist of a nutrition education component, a section on exposure to that specific region’s food habits, and then a snack and interactive activity for the students.
- Another project is organizing the Oxfam Hunger Banquet, that the Undergrad intern has named Mountaineering Against Hunger. Right now the beginning process is in effect where committees are filling up. Then, once these 3 committees are fulfilled, then further actions like venue planning and food donations can take place.
- Other projects and events that our Action Team is in the process of organizing is Father’s HAND, Cross-Country Casserole Club, and Family Fun Night.
The Children’s Discovery Museum of West Virginia Undergraduate Intern
- All of the events for the CDMWV for the semester are, for the most part, set in stone and already organized. It is this intern’s responsibility to complete these tasks and delegate any other duties needed. This Undergrad intern is working with another Graduate student on developing a program called “Healthy Passport”.
- I also assigned this intern to develop a timeline of all events that take place at the CDMWV throughout the entire semester. This way, we can organize, and possibly even collaborate with another organization, other events and programming within the Morgantown, WV area.
As a Community Wellness Action Team I have decided that we will have our own National Nutrition Month campaign. National Nutrition Month is celebrated throughout the entire month of March and this year’s theme is “Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day”. Specifically, March 13th is National Registered Dietitian (RD) Day.
Sooo…… I think I somewhat caught my team off guard by telling them my idea. I want us to use guerrilla marketing with National Nutrition Month and utilize the Student Dietetic Association to do so. My plan is to recruit HN&F students to draw USDA’s MyPlates ALL over the Morgantown area, specifically on all 3 campuses, in different colored sidewalk chalk. And I plan on having people doing so on a daily basis, in case weather prevents us from our guerrilla nutrition parade. Then, on March 19th, the Student Dietetic Association will have a table outside of the Mountainlair on the downtown campus and have a GIANT MyPlate drawing in front of our table on the ground. At our table we’ll have lot of fun interactive nutrition activities, handouts, healthy recipes, healthy snacks, and food guide pyramids from all over the world, including USDA’s MyPlate- of course. I think this will be a really innovative and unique approach at National Nutrition Month (NNM) and promoting health awareness on a large scale.