In honor of May being Mediterranean Diet month, why not test your knowledge of traditional Mediterranean dishes, seasonings, and ingredients? Let Mediterranean Diet Month be your inspiration to try a couple unfamiliar items from this quiz during the month of May….
1. What is a red, spicy paste used in North African cooking made from red chili peppers, garlic, coriander, caraway seeds, dried mint, fresh cilantro leaves, salt, and olive oil?
2. What is a fine, granular pasta that resembles rice, frequently used in North African and Middle Eastern cuisine?
3. What is a creamy dip or spread made of chickpeas, garlic, and lemon, and commonly tahini?
4. What is a traditional rice dish that originated in Valencia, Spain, and is seasoned with saffron, often made with seafood, but can also be made with combinations of vegetables and meat?
5. What is a salad made with fresh parsley, mint, and bulgur from Lebanese cuisine
6. What is a paste of crushed sesame seeds?
7. What is a thick paste or spread made of olives, capers, and anchovies that originated in Provence, France?
8. What is a sweet confection made primarily of sesame and honey?
9. What is are small dishes and snacks, often served in combination at meals?
10. What is a creamy dip made of eggplant and tahini with lemon and garlic?
11. What is a cornmeal porridge commonly featured in Italian cooking and served soft or cooled until firm, then sliced for baking, grilling, or frying?
12. What is are grape leaves stuffed with meat, grains, and/or vegetables found in Turkish and Greek cuisine?
10. Baba Ghanoush