Well this week marked the kick off to my summer of my Institutional Food Service, Production, and Management rotation within WVU’s ISPP dietetic internship. Within this rotation, I am required to have a minimum of 240 hours of experience in a food service production system. Along with these hours, I have a set of objectives to complete as well.
Since Taziki’s Mediterranean Café has partnered with our Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD), I will be doing my rotation at WVU’s downtown campus’s Mountainlair location. The rotation is also attached to a class affiliated with the College of Business and Economics at WVU as well. So, not only are there other nutrition students working alongside me this summer, but there are business students registered for this class as well.
As a part of my rotation objectives, I will complete 2 major projects:
– The Theme Meal Project
– The Management Quality and Process/Performance Improvement Project
This rotation is broken down into 4 sections:
– Section 1: Storeroom, Safety, and Catering
– Section 2: Retail/Dining Room
– Section 3: Menu and Theme Meal Project
– Section 4: Culminating Experience: The Management Quality and Process/Performance Improvement Project
As outlined in my syllabus for the business class attached to the rotation through Taziki’s Mediterranean Café, Graduate students are required to:
– Hold a cumulative ServSafe review session for the undergraduates enrolled in the class on July 30th.
– Develop a marketing campaign to improve breakfast sales with the undergraduates in my group. (I’m the only Graduate student in my group). This will require me speaking to the General Managers about breakfast sales in the restaurant and apply this information to my Management Quality and Process/Performance Improvement Project.
– Develop a FOG BMP Report. This specific report is focusing on sustainability. The report will identify fats, oils, and grease best management practices for Taziki’s AND Martin’s BBQ Joint.
– Then, our last project will be split into 2 parts: the Food Systems Project: I’ll work to raise consumer awareness on the need to support local farmers and food.
o Farmers’ Market Theme Meal
§ This will utilize the Morgantown Farmers’ Market
o Management Quality and Process/Performance Improvement Project
§ This will focus on the proposal to use local animal proteins that can be used at Taziki’s and Martin’s BBQ Joint
Only time will tell how my rotation progresses!